A couple of days ago I came across a strange issue whilst updating our archive directory contact details. A couple of our user updates did not reflect in the global address book in our Office 365 hybrid environment. I logged onto our domain controller and the details where correct, so I then logged into Azure Active Directory (as we are using Direction Sync) and found that the details pulled back from Azure were also correct, so what was the issue?.

When I opened the user properties in the Office 365 console I received the following error message:

“Exchange: Failed to enable the new cloud archive xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx of mailbox xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx because a different archive xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx exists. To enable the new archive, first disable the archive on-premises. After the next Dirsync sync cycle, enable the archive on-premises again.
Exchange: An unknown error has occurred. Refer to correlation ID: c0e37858-6d41-423a-b0bd-7d9bec686457″
So the issue was obviously related to a mailbox move that took place whereby the offline archive link was broken. So I used the Azure Active Directory PS (download from https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/powershell-install-configure/) and connected again to my Azure environment to check the health properties of my users.
To do this run the following PS commands

This will return the full list of Office 365 enabled user accounts and their status. Narrowing this down with the following command will display a list of users with validation errors;


Once you have the list of users with errors it is time to get their online archive information to compare against the details from Exchange. First lets retrieve the Archive GUID by running the following script in an Office365 PowerShell environment;


Now switching over to our Exchange PS console I ran the following script to check what archive details matched;


Comparing the two ArchiveGuid values presented the cause of the issue. During a routine mailbox move the ArchiveGuid value had not been updated to the current version.

I resolved this by running the following process;
1. Update the remote mailbox properties with the ArchiveGuid value obtained from Azure AD;
– Set-RemoteMailbox -Identity  “user identity with error status” -ArchiveGuid “Guid value from Azure AD”
2. Run a full directory sync in DirSync
3. Run Start-OnlineCoexistenceSync PS command:
On your DirSync server –
PS:\Import-Module DirSync
PS:\Start-OnlineCoexistenceSync
Now wait a few minutes, go back into your Office 365 portal and the issue should be resolved 🙂

(32)

There are no comments.

Leave a Reply